

We looked at the calendar this week and noticed we have been here a month now. Time has a way of slipping by and sometimes we need time to reflect on what has been accomplished and what still needs our attention. One of the major accomplishments this month has been getting running water to our house.
In my youth I remember visiting my grandparents farm in north Alabama and having to haul water from the well every day. Of course being young that was an adventure, like camping, that I could enjoy for a few days before returning to the city and turning on the tap for my daily needs. Fast forward 50 years and I found myself, hauling water again for my daily needs. Only this time it's not quiet the adventure I remember, but very hard work that becomes a necessity for life!
Seeing how much time is required just to provide water for your daily needs makes me now appreciate running water all the more. As you can see, we were able to hire Indika and Saman from the village to dig our water line from the house to the well and install a small one horse-power pump. Water is pumped to a 500 liter holding tank on our roof and one tank last approximately 3 days. We must boil the water for drinking and cooking, but just seeing it come out of the tap is a blessing I won't take for granted again! I don't even mind the cold showers, as long as I don't have to dump the bucket over my head!!
Having running water gives us the energy we need to provide the "living water" to those who are also in need!
No comments:
Post a Comment